Do I need Uninsured Motorist Coverage?

As an insurance agent, I would respond and say, “Yes.” And, there are many reasons why I suggest you carry it. One in five Florida drivers are uninsured so this sets you up for an unhandled loss if you have an incident with one of the five drivers who are driving illegally or even, with the state mandated minimum coverages.

You may feel that you are adequately covered because we’re a no-fault state and you carry Personal Injury Protection or PIP that covers you and passengers in your car. This is your first line of defense and does cover a portion of your medical expenses, some lost wages, at home care and a small death benefit, but it caps out at $10,000.

What happens if you have an accident with someone who doesn’t carry any insurance and your injuries exceed the $10,000 afforded by PIP. This is when your own Uninsured Motorist coverage responds. It covers your medical expenses and lost wages not fully paid by your no fault or PIP coverage. It will also cover any ongoing medical expenses and future wage losses. You may need it to cover disability and pain and suffering, or even bon vivant. It even covers you if you aren’t in your own car.

This is an elective coverage that can be stacked or non-stacked. This means is you are carrying $100,000/300,000 bodily injury limits and you have two cars, you can elect stacked and your coverage limits double to $200,000/$600,000. Your uninsured motorist coverage can be as high as your bodily injury limits, so make sure you have maxed out this important coverage.

We hope that this non-mandatory coverage will be a permanent part of your personal protection program.

For all of your insurance needs, get the personal service that we are known for at Avrin Insurance Agency. We offer auto, homeowners, and business insurance plans. For more information, go to our web site or call (727) 260-5520